COPE and QUNO representatives with some other experts of child rights and child welfare experts were taking part in the UN Global Study on Children Deprived of Liberty, which took place in Vienna.
The Study, launched in 2016 and led by independent expert Professor Manfred Nowak, is going forward and is supposed to be completed by June 2019.
The study aims to cause global reform and make the issue of children deprived of liberty visible. States have been urged to complete the questionnaire, ideally by 26 June 2018, but government responses are lagging. But there are possibilities how can we ourselve help to finish this Study by sending (firstname.lastname@example.org):
– Links to research and reports on the issue of children co-residing with imprisoned parents
– Data on the numbers of children living in prison with a parent
– Case studies covering either the impact on children or good practices. Please say briefly what the case study would be about. The Research group will follow up to work with you on providing the details
– Relevant laws and policies: On how decisions are made about children living in prison with a parent, what age children can stay in prison until and who makes these decisions
– Examples of good practices: Covering either to mitigate the impact of children living in prison or non-custodial measures that mean that the parent and the child do not go into prison. Input can be sent in English, Spanish, French, German or Italian.